Discover this easy Gulab Jamun recipe, a simple and quick way to make this beloved Indian dessert at home. Follow our easy steps to create soft, sweet fried donut balls soaked in aromatic syrup. Perfect for Diwali or any occasion!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 65 minutes
Expert tips: Best served warm but can also be served cold. For best results, garnish with rose petals. Head to your local Indian supermarket to find key ingredients such as rosewater and saffron threads.
1. Place the Chelsea Caster Sugar, 500ml water and rosewater in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
2. Increase the heat to high, add the cardamom and saffron, then bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove saucepan from the heat and set aside.
Fried Donut Balls
1. Combine the milk powder, baking powder and plain flour in a bowl.
2. Add the ghee and mix well.
3. Add the milk and knead to form a pastry-like dough.
4. Using your hands, divide the dough into 25 pieces and roll into small balls.
5. Fill a saucepan one-third full of vegetable oil.
6. Heat oil to 150°C and, working in batches, fry the balls for 3 minutes or until golden-brown and floating to the surface. The balls will double in size during the cooking process.
7. Remove from the oil, immediately place in a bowl with the sugar syrup and soak for 45 minutes or until glossy.
8. Serve garnished with rose petals.