The rise in popularity of hemp as a source of healthy, natural flavour and protein will ensure these light and fluffy yet incredibly flavoursome pancakes will be pointed to on your menu by customers at all times of day.
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 280g
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Expert tips: For best aeration of the egg whites, make sure they are at room temperature.
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and hemp flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Separate the eggs into two separate bowls, whisk the egg whites for 5-10 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form.
3. Add the milk and vanilla into the egg yolks, whisk well then pour into the flour mix.
4. When all the lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth, gently fold the batter through the egg whites using a spatula, being careful not to ruin the aeration.
5. Cut the butter into 3 or 4 chunks depending on how many pancakes you wish to make.
6. Heat a large non-stick frying pan, add a chunk of the butter and gently ladle in about 4 tbsp of the pancake batter into the middle of the pan. Slide the pancake around in the pan allowing the outer edges to get close to the edge of the frying pan and crisp up. Very Carefully, use a spatula to gently flip the pancake over. Turn the heat down a little bit towards the end as they take slightly longer to cook through due to the thickness.
7. Repeat until all the batter is gone, stack the pancakes up onto a serving plate and serve with maple syrup and any other accompaniments you desire.