Fried chicken and waffles has become a major food trend, so make sure you’ve got some of this American diner-style decadence on your menu. If you already do, then try this version – it adds a unique twist with hot honey and is designed for preparing in a busy kitchen.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Prep time: 30 minutes + brining time
Cook time: 30 minutes
1. Pat your chicken thighs dry and cut each thigh into 3 long strips and place in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl combine 2 tsp salt, baking powder and brown sugar. Season the chicken with salt & sugar mixture and toss to combine. Cover and let sit for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg & hot sauce. In another large bowl mix together the flour, cornflour, garlic powder, paprika and 2 tsp salt.
3. Place a wire rack on a baking tray. To coat the chicken, dip each piece of chicken first in the flour mixture, then in the buttermilk, then again in the flour mixture making sure to pack the flour firmly onto the chicken. Gently shake off any excess. Transfer to a wire rack, then repeat until all chicken strips are coated.
4. Heat oil in a deep saucepan fitted with a thermometer, or in a deep fryer, until temperature registers 180°C. Deep fry the chicken in batches until golden and crispy and the internal temperature reaches at least 75°C. Allow to drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Season with salt.
5. Heat the waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. In a separate large bowl, mix together flour, bicarbonate, paprika, Dijon mustard, chives and season with salt and black pepper. Stir in the grated cheese then make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and melted butter. Start mixing with a balloon whisk; keep whisking as you slowly add the milk until you get a smooth, thick batter. Carefully fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon.
6. Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Use a ladle to pour the batter into your waffle maker and cook for 5 mins or according to the manufacturer's instructions. Repeat until all the batter has been used up, placing your finished waffles onto a baking tray as you go.
7. Once all the waffles are made, transfer to the oven for 5 mins to warm through and crisp.
8. To make the hot honey simply combine the honey and hot sauce in small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
9. Serve waffles immediately with 2-3 strips of hot fried chicken, a drizzle of hot honey sauce and garnish with chives.